Monday, November 26, 2007

Naniwaya - our local grocery store

For your enjoyment here is a glimpse of our local grocery store, Japanese owned and only a few blocks away It is called Naniwaya. This is a view from the outside entry of the store...

The first aisle (well, 3/4 of the aisle anyway) as you enter the store is devoted to fruits and vegies...

It occured to me that some people have asked about the prices on food, so I took some quick photos of a few items and their prices, like these apples...

And more outrageous prices, like this cantaloupe (melons are the most expensive fruit). There was a more moderately priced melon next to this one (1100 yen - $11) but I thought the 2,000 price was too dramatic to be ignored! :)

I photographed this to show how meticulously the fruits are packaged.

I have to mention that the fruit here is amazing. When eating strawberries, pears and apples (etc.) I have thought, "This is what a __________ is supposed to tast like." So you pay for what you get I suppose!
This aisle is for cleaning supplies: shampoo and conditioner, soaps, garbage bags (what else do you clean something with???). There's one stop shopping for you...

For those of you who complain about the price of milk I thought I should get a picture of average to low milk prices. This liter of Non Fat is 187 yen ($1.87). Some of the pricier, better tasting milks cost around 250... for one liter... Add that up the next time you buy a jug for your milk loving little kiddies. Hollis drinks about 3 glasses of milk per day. The people at the store used to look at me with bug eyes when I walked up with 6 liters of milk, now they barely notice!

This is the frozen goods section, which is mainly ice cream! Yes the tubs of icecream are tiny and cost 450 yen each ($4.00).


There is one side of one aisle in this store for international foods like spaghetti, although the sauce doesn't taste like anything you might have tried before. Actually, now that I think about it... spaghetti is the ONLY international food at this store!
We do have two international stores with much better variety and selection but items at National and Nissin are about 1/2 to 2 times the price of their Japanese competitors and even more than my beloved Hanamasa (I will feature Hanamasa some time in the future).

No comments: